Saint Bartholomew’s Church
The Regimental Chapel is Saint Bartholomew’s Church on MacKay Street in Ottawa. Two stands of Colours are laid up here. The Regiment performs a Carol Service in the Guards Chapel every year, prior to the celebration of Christmas. Since 1866, the Anglican Parish of St. Bartholomew’s has held a special place in the life of New Edinburgh, Lindenlea and Rockcliffe Park. The church – designed by Thomas Scott, chief architect of Canada – was built in 1868.
The Parish has been served by generations of faithful worshippers – many of them remembered by furnishings, gifts, and memorial plaques – which have supported St. Bartholomew’s in its service to the community, Canada, and the world. The present Rector is its thirteenth incumbent.
Strong historical ties link the church to neighboring Rideau Hall. A number of Canada’s governors-general have made St. Bartholomew’s their parish; and the church contains many vice-regal memorials, including the wall-mounted heraldic shields. Each Sunday, the altar flowers are a gift from the Rideau Hall greenhouses.
A notable architectural feature of the church is the east window, which is described in a separate article below. Particularly fine also are the new stained glass windows in the recently restored main entrance to the church.Deeply aware of its history, St. Bartholomew’s in the third millennium is nonetheless very much a Church of today. Combining the best of contemporary and traditional worship, the Parish is a community of faith, helping individuals and families to live with integrity and meaning in this difficult epoch.
If you would like to know more details about the history of St Bart’s, the Church Office holds a book entitled “St Bart’s of the Village” written by Zita Barbara May in 1967.